Bath Fire Department

3864 W. Bath Rd.

Akron OH  44333


P.O. Box 1188

Bath OH  44210

Fire Department Business Phone:  330-666-3738

Fire Department Fax:  330-665-1352

(Emergencies dial "911")
Walt Hower, Fire Chief

Bath Township Home

Fire Department Home

CPR Classes




In the Schools


Press Releases



Bath Township Residents' Emergency Handbook

Notice of Privacy Practices

HIPPA Disclosure

Our Mission: 

To protect the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of Bath Township.

Christmas Tree Safety

Fireplace and Home Fire Safety


More than one-third of Americans use fireplaces, wood stoves and other fuel-fired appliances as primary heat sources in their homes. Unfortunately, many people are unaware of the fire risks when heating with wood and solid fuels. Heating fires account for 36% of residential home fires in rural areas every year. Often these fires are due to creosote buildup in chimneys and stovepipes. All home heating systems require regular maintenance to function safely and efficiently.
The U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) encourages you to practice the following fire safety steps to keep those home fires safely burning. Remember, fire safety is your personal responsibility ...Fire Stops With You!

Keep Fireplaces and Wood Stoves Clean

  • Have your chimney or wood stove inspected and cleaned annually by a certified chimney specialist.
  • Clear the area around the hearth of debris, decorations and flammable materials.
  • Leave glass doors open while burning a fire. Leaving the doors open ensures that the fire receives enough air to ensure complete combustion and keeps creosote from building up in the chimney.
  • Close glass doors when the fire is out to keep air from the chimney opening from getting into the room. Most glass fireplace doors have a metal mesh screen which should be closed when the glass doors are open. This mesh screen helps keep embers from getting out of the fireplace area.
  • Always use a metal mesh screen with fireplaces that do not have a glass fireplace door.
  • Install stovepipe thermometers to help monitor flue temperatures.
  • Keep air inlets on wood stoves open, and never restrict air supply to fireplaces. Otherwise you may cause creosote buildup that could lead to a chimney fire.
  • Use fire-resistant materials on walls around wood stoves.

Safely Burn Fuels

  • Never use flammable liquids to start a fire.
  • Use only seasoned hardwood. Soft, moist wood accelerates creosote buildup. In pellet stoves, burn only dry, seasoned wood pellets.
  • Build small fires that burn completely and produce less smoke.
  • Never burn cardboard boxes, trash or debris in your fireplace or wood stove.
  • When building a fire, place logs at the rear of the fireplace on an adequate supporting grate.
  • Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended. Extinguish the fire before going to bed or leaving the house.
  • Allow ashes to cool before disposing of them. Place ashes in a tightly covered metal container and keep the ash container at least 10 feet away from your home and any other nearby buildings. Never empty the ash directly into a trash can. Douse and saturate the ashes with water.

Protect the Outside of Your Home

  • Stack firewood outdoors at least 30 feet away from your home.
  • Keep the roof clear of leaves, pine needles and other debris.
  • Cover the chimney with a mesh screen spark arrester.
  • Remove branches hanging above the chimney, flues or vents.

Protect the Inside of Your Home

  • Install smoke alarms on every level of your home and inside and outside of sleeping areas. Test them monthly and change the batteries at least once a year. Consider installing the new long life smoke alarms.
  • Provide proper venting systems for all heating equipment.
  • Extend all vent pipes at least three feet above the roof.

Fireworks Regulations

Click Here

Open Burning Regulations

Click Here

Hoverboard Safety

Safety Guidelines
Consumer Products Safety Commission

Spring Storms - Be Prepared

Click here for information on severe weather

Garage Fires

Click here on how to prevent garage fires.



Useful Links

Home Fire Safety 
Underwriters Laboratory
Safe Kids USA
Kids Safety Activities
National Fire Protection Association

Drop off your empty aluminum cans at the Bath Fire Department to help Akron Children's Hospital Aluminum Cans for Burned Children. Empty Cans can be dropped off the designated container in the recycling area in the Bath School parking lot. Please bag your cans.

Aluminum Cans for Burned Children (ACBC) raises money to help burn survivors and their families by funding educational and support prog rams and paying for non-medical items or services not covered by insurance. These include special protective clothing that helps skin heal, bicycles that help children exercise burned arms or legs, transportation to outpatient treatment for needy families, and more.

ICE - 'In Case of Emergency' - mobile phones as a useful emergency tool


     We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our closest family or friends.
     As cell (mobile) phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' ( In Case Of Emergency). For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc. A great idea that will make a difference!
Let's spread the concept of ICE by storing an ICE number in our Mobile phones today!

Additionally, some smartphones with locked screens have Medical ID capabilities whereby emergency personnel can access important medical information and your ICE contacts when you program them into the phone.

The Township of Bath and its Fire Department makes no warranties of any kind, express or implied, for the service it is providing.  The Township will not be responsible for any damage a user suffers.  This includes loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, mis-deliveries, or service interruptions caused by the Township's negligence, or by the user's errors or omissions.  Use of any information obtained via the Internet is at the user's own risk.  All users need to consider the source of any information they obtain and consider how valid that information may be.  Information (including text, graphics, audio, video, etc.) from Internet sources used in an employees work products should be cited as are reference to printed materials.